Sphere of Influence and Annexation Process
When a city embarks on an annexation process, it begins working with LAFCo (Local Agency Formation Commission) a county level agency. The following is the process they use.
1. Property owners submit request for annexation.
2. City council refers request to Planning Commission for a preliminary report.
3. Planning Commission holds public hearing and develops recommendation to City Council.
4. Request and report to city Council for adoption or denial of resolution of intent to annex. Pre-Zoning and General Plan Amendment are initiated.
5. Initiate Tax Exchange negotiations with County of Santa Barbara.
6. Prepare a CEQA Mitigated Negative Declaration (MND), or distribute Notice of Preparation (NOP) and request proposals for preparation of an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) if necessary.
7. Request proposals for preparation of an economic impact analysis if required by City Council Review proposals for economic impact analysis and select consultant.
8. Planning Commission holds public hearing for approval of MND or certification of EIR, and recommendation on Pre-Zoning, General Plan Amendment, Sphere of Influence Amendment request, and annexation matters.
9. City council holds public hearing for approval of Pre-Zoning, General Plan Amendment, Sphere of Influence Amendment request, and annexation matters.
10. Submit complete application to LAFCO including certification of MND or final EIR. City applies to LAFCO on behalf of property owners.
11. LAFCO holds public hearing to act on Sphere of Influence request, annexation request, and to adopt Resolution of Approval.
12. City Council reviews LAFCO Resolution of Approval and adopts Resolution of Annexation.
13. LAFCO issues Certificate of Completion.
Click the links below to download and/or view PDF files.